My Next Adventure

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Learning Something New

My variation on the standard bar joke:

So a guy walks into his garage to get his bike...

I grab my pump to check my tires. The pump is not working correctly. I check the valve on the pump and find that it is loose. Whose been messing with my pump Willis?!? I fix the pump and fill my back tire. I then move to the front tire.

Flatter than a pancake. What is up with that? How can my tire be completely flat. I just rode my bike the other day...

Then I remember that my brother-in-law was riding his bike with my daughter. Could he have cut the tube by torquing the stem? I take the front wheel off the bike and remove the tire. I pump a little air into the tube and find that it is cut right at the base of the stem. That means there is no way to patch the tube and Colonel Mustard did it in the library with the candlestick.


I'm immediately frustrated. I've got to get to work and had just enough time to get my ride in. This is just killing me.

I take a deep breath. He was actually going out of his way to help me. We was doing something nice for me.

Besides, I'm a grown-ass man. If I cannot get this tire changed and get out on the road, I don't deserve to ride the bike in the first place. I grab a tube, work it into the tire and re-seat the tire on the rim. I reach for the pump...

So I have a confession to make. I have never used a CO2 cartridge to fill a tire. I am a throwback that has always used a frame pump. Recently I invested in a CO2 setup, but have never used it. My initial reaction is, how hard could it possibly be? I remember watching Chrissie Wellington blow the use of a cartridge during Kona. Maybe it would be a good idea to practice in the comfort and privacy of my own garage.


I make sure the adapter is closed and then attach the cartridge. I push up against the stem and open the valve. The tire inflates. Nice! Dude, what was I worried about?

Thank you to Steve for thinking of me and helping me to learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment