My Next Adventure

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dispatches From The Field - 3/23/11 - Scouting the Showdown at Sundown (Part Deux)

The weather today is gorgeous and Lake Mead is like glass.

Water temp is 59F according to NOAA for Lake Mead today. I've got to be honest that I didn't even bother to check until I had already done the swim. I didn't want to know. Earlier this week I saw a woman in her 60s get out of the water in a Neoprene Cap and Booties to go with her full wetsuit.

I asked her how the water was:

What she said, "oh, it's not that bad".
What I heard, "listen sonny, I just froze my ass off, why don't you go jump in and tell me how cold you think it is!"

It's so funny, we are all competitors that never want to show any kind of weakness no matter who we are or how old.

I convinced co-conspiring triathlete Shawn Wallace (read here, I simply asked him) if he wanted to go for a swim in the lake. Having no more sense than I, he readily agreed. Which is how we ended up at Lake Mead at 10:00 this morning, grinning at each other like idiots while we put wetsuits on. We talked about course (Shawn was doing a longer course than I was) and set up transition, agreeing that we wouldn't kill ourselves on time for transition as we were going to leave the bikes locked up.

Just a quick word on Shawn before we continue. Truly one of the fundamentally good and kind people on this little blue orb in space. No bullshit, no posturing, no bluster. Just a talented guy who loves to be outdoors. He's also faster than I am, which seems to be a recurring theme with the people I exercise around. I guess I just aspire...

Shawn Prepping in the Transition Area

We walk into the water looking at each other with that excited, slightly manic look that people sometimes get just before a dare, or perhaps right before jumping out of an airplane. We start watches and then dive in the water and begin to swim.

At first I am thinking its not that bad. Sure its a little cold but...but I can't feel my feet. OK, so its cold, but honestly, its not so cold that its debilitating. I cruise to the first buoy where Shawn has paused to make sure I am alive. I want to waive him on, but I'm busy swimming.

We continue down the buoy line with Shawn stopping at strategic points to make sure I am alive. I keep checking myself and the signs are positive that I am (still alive that is). I am actually supposed to swim 500 meters today, but talked Shawn into more because I felt like I needed longer in the water to figure out how I would handle it in a couple days with the race. Shawn (who is racing the Olympic), was set just to do a brick before I got him out here. I'm sure he is wondering up ahead whose crack pipe I've been smoking with this inspired plan. I have to admit though that I'm actually enjoying the swim.

We make the boat ramp and I swim all the way until my fingers touch the asphalt of the ramp. They recently dredged and Boulder Beach is so much better than it was in winter. I was swimming here through November and I wish I had pictures of what it was like then. Really clean now. I stand up and head up the ramp toward the cars. Shawn asks me if I am dizzy, because apparently I'm weaving like I'm a little drunk. I tell him I'm OK ( I can hear the lady with the neoprene booties in my head). I get my wetsuit off OK, but when I go  to put my bike shoes on, I have to grab the car to avoid taking a header. I hold on for dear life for 15-20 seconds while the vertigo passes. I must have been colder than I thought.

This will be T1 and start of the Bike for the race.

I actually beat Shawn out of transition because I have the combined advantages of his bike being locked to the top of the car and his waiting for my slow ass through the entire swim. Being a corrupt opportunist, I take off. The initial 3/4 of a mile is uphill and always kills everybody right out of the water. I feel good as I work my way up to Southshore Drive. Shawn will catch me soon.

Which he does in the first 3-4 miles of the bike and then casually blows by me. I sigh and keep peddling. I remind myself that the goal today is to take it easy and just put in an honest effort. Get the heart going and remind the body what is supposed to happen on Saturday. I try to ride the course strategically, with a mind to another 50 miles to go with the last 6 or so all uphill. I turn around at the 5 mile mark (feeling almost guilty as I watch Shawn tear off up the road).

The ride is totally uneventful, with me focusing on nutrition that I don't really need today and making sure my stomach is working right. Everything is good.

Transition is fine and Boulder Beach is finally showing some signs of life. The run goes smooth and easy. Frankly, it's way too short, but if I go longer, Coach Cyndee will be on me like white on rice. I feel really good for this race. Goal is 7:15:00.

Apparently we were not the only ones to think about getting used to the water today...

Swim - 27:19/1000m
T1 - 3:07
Bike - 40:46/10.59 miles
T2 - 2:49
Run - 19:10/2.06 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment