My Next Adventure

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Race Report - LV Tri Club - 3/19/11

Cold and silly windy. That pretty much summed up the conditions with the wind coming off Lake Mead and picking up a biting chill that truly cut to the bone. You could feel the athletes universally mentally saying, "Dude, please start this thing." A lot of movement and active stretching going on, me included.

Is there life beyond multi-sport?

My hat is truly off to the LV Tri Club Board and the great people who came out and volunteered to make the race possible today. I at least had the crazy excuse to be out here that I wanted to race. These people are out here freezing to death for the love of the sport or the love of a loved one who loves the sport. However it works out, these people are all amazing for their generosity. Thank you!

The race today is a Duathlon, with a 1m run/12m bike/3.1m run. I am treating the race as a "C" race with the goals of simply getting back into the swing of things with transition, the feel of racing and nutrition. Pace is the other key point for me today - getting the most out of myself without melting down.

As we get ready to start the race, props to the RDs for making the decision to announce that the bike ride was optional in the interest of safety. The crosswinds on Lakeshore Drive were definitely something to be concerned about. Of course, it seemed like everyone did the race as advertised.

So off we go. This is my first Duathlon and I have to admit that the run start is a little odd for me. I'm used to getting roughed up in the water at the start of a race. This has the feel of a road race and I start in the very back to avoid getting in the way. With the combination of being a slower competitor and treating this as a training race, it seems like it would be unfair to get in the way of others. I make a point to intentionally slow down at the beginning of the run. I want to make sure that I don't injure myself and that I work on pace.

After about the first quarter mile, I pick up the pace a little (it is a race after all) and start to pass a couple people. When I get back to transition I'm completely in race mode. It takes me a little longer to put on my shoes than I think it should, but that's why I'm here.

Run - 8:28/1.03m (8:14 pace)
T1 - 1:14

The wind definitely is the factor on the bike. The course is a lot of up and down, which even on a good day, puts a premium on strategy and patience. Regardless of the length of the race, this is truly a thinking persons course. I know, because I've blown up here before. I make it a point to gear up on the hills when I feel the desire to put the hammer down. I'm riding at about a 30 degree tilt about half the time. As I get back to transition I feel like I have put just the right amount of energy into the ride (or maybe just a tad too much).

DISMOUNT! DISMOUNT! DISMOUNT! I almost ride into the transition area. Come on man! Where is your focus!?!

Bike - 40:49/11.91m (17.5mph)
T2 - 0:34

The second run starts well. I let my legs ease back in and then get going. There is a guy about 250 meters ahead wearing a blue and black jersey and we are similar in size. I key into his pace. Breathing is good. During the outward bound leg, I close the gap to about 10 meters. I passed on water at T-2 and am now wondering if that was really such a good idea. There is an aid station at the turnaround and I thank the volunteers and grab a cup of water.

With 1.5 miles to go, I take inventory and decide it is time to open it up and see if it all works. The blue and black jersey turns out to be for Wounded Warriors. This guy is a warrior, because he is not willing to give me an inch. I am maxed out as I catch him with less than half a mile to go.

"I love the jersey."
"I was wondering when you were going to make the pass."
"Dude, this is all there is."
"I can hear the speakers, we've got to be close."
I grunt as I move ahead. I can't talk anymore.

The last part of the run is killing me. I can feel things getting heavy, I push through. As I cross the line, I call out my number, "15!"

"Jeff ECKELBERGER! Great job Jeff!"

I smile, I couldn't figure out my last name for the longest time either.

I catch my breath and turn around to shake hands with Wounded Warrior. What a great effort from him. Definitely worthy of his jersey.

Run - 25:23/2.88m (8:48 pace)
Total - 1:16:29

No comments:

Post a Comment