My Next Adventure

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dispatches From The Field 01-23-11

The Tour de Palm Springs is approaching and the long rides are becoming a little more serious. Did 70 miles today for my long ride. Knees are sore. I'm hoping that my body will sort things out over the next two weeks.

Ended up oversleeping and didn't get started until about 7:20am. Thought about doing two loops of the River Mountain Trail Loop, but that would mean driving to the trail and the climbs and curves in the trail make it a little slower going. Needed to get home today for some face time with the family. So out the garage door and on the road seemed to be the ticket.

The ride was pretty uneventful. I came up from Highway 159, which doesn't see nearly as much traffic as the other direction off Charleston. Most people start at Desert Foothills and work their way out toward 160. I ended up seeing quite a few people after I got past Blue Diamond and played cat and mouse with a couple cyclists along the way. Wanted to get someone to pull with me but everyone just wants to be a wheel sucker. Come on people, we are recreational riders! Get up front for a pull!

I did have one section of interest today. I was cruising on the backstretch of 159 (downhill is the only place where chubby is good) when I passed this woman running toward me. She was seriously in the middle of nowhere. The only close place she could be running from was Blue Diamond. I yelled at her "how far" as we passed but she had an Ipod going and couldn't hear me. She flashed me a "hang loose" gesture with her right hand and just kept on trucking. I would have liked to know how far she was running - love an overachiever.

80 miles next week for the long ride. I'm thinking about doing an abbreviated RTC Century course. I'll have to get in some pictures.

Stats For Ride

No comments:

Post a Comment