My Next Adventure

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Dispatches From The Field 1-28-11


What a beautiful day to go out and explore! The weather was a comfortable 57 degrees without a cloud in the sky and no wind. The only bummer was that I was on a bit of a time crunch, so I had to get it done today.

My initial plan was to run the area of test drills above Fort Apache that I wrote about before. That's six miles, out and back, which is exactly what I needed today. I really had an urge to get out and try something different - time to explore.

The Cottonwood Trail system is at the base of Mt. Potosi and is a favorite of local mountain bike riders. Horseback riders use this area as well. As a result, the trails are well marked and the single track is great. There is also a nice mix of footing here with some moderately technical sections.

It's like being at Joshua Tree on my right...

...and Zion on my left.
It sure felt that way. There is a fire road that runs through the middle of the valley with single track coming into the road from either direction. I could be busy here for quite some time...

The road feels good and keeps going into the distance. I crest a small hill a couple miles in and there is a map that has been placed there by the Forest Service. Looking ahead, there is a cluster of buildings that might be Bonnie Springs. Doesn't seem right though, Bonnie Springs should be further out. I look at the map desperate for a You Are Here sticker...nothing. I envision a ranger in his Smokey Bear hat with a maniacal laugh talking to his buddy, "So they said I had to post the map, but they didn't tell me to put the sticker on..."

The things that pop into my head.

The Garmin is reporting 3.5ish miles, I turn around and head back. I'll be texting a friend about coming out here tomorrow. There is a wealth to explore out here. I'll be busy.

The trail head is on the back left of the third peak from the left.
1:22:03 / 7.01 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment