My Next Adventure

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Dispatches From The Field 12-19-10

Need to get out and run. Today is 6 miles with an increased effort on the back end and race pace to finish. Coach has always got a wrinkle in there somewhere. It's never just go run; there is always a purpose. Everything has a reason.

I want to run trails today. Most of my running is on the road and I want to get more time in on the dirt. The weather is still threatening and the weatherman is calling for rain. I'm out early to try and beat that. If I can get the run in before the weather goes completely bad, I can get inside for my swim session.

A couple months ago while I was exploring routes, I noticed a road that seemed to go from the Las Vegas Wash out to the backside of Lake Las Vegas. I didn't think there was anything out there. Probably a jeep trail or something like that. Today is the day that I decided to go and explore.

I follow the mental map I have put together and find where the pavement ends. I get out of the car to a howling wind and a string of telephone poles that lead out and up the mountain. The road following these poles pulls me. I back track a 1/4 mile up the road and find a place to park the car.

The End of the Pavement
The road is flat and I get into a good rythm. Breathing is good and the pace is steady with the wind at my back. Legs feel ok after yesterdays ride. Life is good. The trail took me around the Las Vegas Wash area and was open to exploration. I get such a rush running! What a difference from yesterday.

My feet feel good and I feel strong. I have an energy today that has been lacking for me a little lately. I feel free. I needed this. There is something about being outside and alive, feeling the fresh air against my skin, the warmth in my muscles. It feels great to be alive. I feel strong. I will be back soon.
---
In the afternoon, the skies cleared a little, so Lulu and I took Rufus out to the park to get a little exercise. Lulu has said that she wants to run a race with her Daddy. Maybe a 1 mile fun run for the two of us sometime soon. Wanted to share the rainbow we enjoyed...

Lulu Could Not Get Enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment