My Next Adventure

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Starting Points

There is a lot that I want to achieve this year. So many questions that I wish to ask and have answered. Limits that I want to approach, reach and then exceed. I have things to prove to myself.

The two fundamental questions I wish to ask:
1. Do I have the mental and physical ability to complete an Ironman length event in under 17 hours?
2. Can one person make a difference?

Of course, those two questions are very complicated and will require that many other questions be asked and answered along the way.

To be fair to those reading this, this journey began in some ways almost two years ago for me. I suppose for you to understand where I am coming from and to put my story into some sort of perspective, I will have to report some of that history. I will try to include small pieces for you along the way as things unfold.

I have read that if you write your goals down, you increase your chance of success by 75%. Here are mine:

1. Complete the 2011 Arizona Ironman in 14 hours or less. To do this, I have the help and support of my wife Melissa, my daughter Lucia and the most incredible coach, Cyndee Platko. Links to Coach Cyndee's Website and Blog can be found to the right.
2. Lose weight. At my heaviest, I gently tipped the scale at 306 pounds. I am currently 261 pounds. My goal by Ironman Arizona is 205 pounds.
3. Create awareness and raise money for those who are under-nourished. In this goal, I am focusing my efforts on ThreeSquare.org. This is a local organization that does so much to combat this problem in the Las Vegas community.
4. Create awareness about the need to support and nurture the education of our children. If our children have any hope of creating a better world and being more prosperous in the journey of their lives, it is through their education. My daughter Lucia has been an amazing gift in my life. It is her influence that ultimately started me on this journey and I see this as a way to say thank you to her for all her love and support.

I hope I can make this journey entertaining for those who wish to follow it. Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment