My Next Adventure

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Marathon Thoughts

A 400-pound sumo wrestler made history Sunday becoming the heaviest person to finish a marathon.
Kelly Gneiting, 40, grabbed a Guinness World Record at the Los Angeles Marathon after he plodded across the finish line drenched in rain and with a time of 9:48:52.
(...) The Idaho native crushed the previous world record for marathon weight - 275 pounds - and also set a personal record beating his 2008 L.A. Marathon time of 11:52:11 by more than two hours.
- Reported by Lauren Johnston, NY Daily News, March 21, 2011

I ran my first marathon in 2009 within 3 pounds of the previous record and finished well before they closed the course. Had I known I could have had immortality for a year or two, I would have eaten some Twinkies.

Long runs for the OC Marathon started last week. This will be my third marathon and I will be breaking the 5 hour barrier. This is one of three "A" races for me this year and I promised myself that I would up my game in my preparation.

My first marathon was Las Vegas, I finished in 5:39 (ultrarunner Thomas Burke ran the second half with me). I had major GI issues that sidelined me for about 30 minutes during the race. I was disappointed with the time, but hopeful for a second attempt.

In 2010 I ran San Francisco in 5:11 with my sister Amy and her husband Kedrik helping me out. I had to stop on the far side of the Golden Gate Bridge for a porta-potty (probably 15 minutes with the waiting) and I just ran out of gas in the last 4 miles. I was really disappointed with the time, because I knew that I was physically capable, but I just didn't get it done. I am back again determined.

So part of upping my game includes having Coach Cyndee add some speed work to my schedule this year, making some changes to my diet to help with GI issues (a previous problem in both marathons) and making my long runs more challenging. Race strategy will be to go out conservative and work toward a negative split. I will not have anyone running with me this time.

Last week I ran the Red Rock Loop for my 16 mile run. Yesterday was a trail run in the Sierra Madre Wilderness Area which I had been eyeing for some time. I got in about 19 miles and will post an entry on that experience.

Of the three disciplines in triathlon, there is no doubt that running is my favorite. I am really looking forward to this race!

By the way, I was kidding about the Twinkies...

No comments:

Post a Comment