My Next Adventure

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Dispatches From The Field - 5/14/11 - Vegas to Jean


The quest for a reasonably flat 50 mile ride in the Las Vegas area. This was the request Shawn threw out over Twitter. I think I actually chuckled as I was reading the tweet. In a car, the valley seems reasonably flat, but the moment you get out for a ride or a run, you realize that its more like a cutting board tipped up in a sink to drain. The valley slopes away from the Red Rock Conservation Area and moves on a consistent slope to the Las Vegas Wash that works its way into Lake Mead.

I had mentioned that this ride might work. The ride follows Old US 91 (now State 606) out of Las Vegas to Jean. 606 is a 2 lane road that runs parallel to I-15. The shoulder is narrow and covered with debris from cars and trucks pulling on and off the road. The shoulder has also been dished to wake up sleepy motorists. Still, there are no traffic lights which allows you to stretch out and develop a rhythm. Despite the hazards, I like the ride.

The road is consistently uphill as you work your way out of the Las Vegas Valley, but I seem to remember this ride as relatively flat as you head to Jean one you clear the valley. I normally ride 160 and 159 on longer rides (Blue Diamond & Red Rock areas) or out by Lake Mead. Both of these rides are definitely not flat.

Luckily, Coach Cyndee had me scheduled for a moderate 50 mile ride. Trying to make up my mind about which route to take, I ultimately decided to make this ride so I could confirm that the route was relatively flat for Shawn.

It's funny how our recollection of events can be so flawed sometimes. Let's just say that the quest continues.


Jean, Nevada. Road leading to the top of the picture goes to Goodsprings. Road through the middle is I-15. If you follow I-15 to the right, you will end up in Las Vegas. (photo by: Anoid)
The link for Garmin info is below if you want to take a look at the route profile.

 2:57:41/50.43 miles

Garmin Details

No comments:

Post a Comment