My Next Adventure

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dispatches From The Field - 5/29/11 - The River Mountain Trail Linked To The Red & The Black

For me, triathlon has become sanctuary.

Workouts are the one time during the day when my life is truly my own and I have the opportunity to push everything away and just be. The phone calls, no craziness at work, no "honey-do" list, just me and the water, the road or the trail. It's the time when I get a consistently positive result from the effort I put out and lets me chase a physical goal larger than anything I have ever done in my life; becoming an Ironman. It's my joy, my outlet of physical expression and my release valve.

Everyday is an adventure.

A friend and I were discussing Ultrarunner Anton Krupicka and his constant training on the same trails in Boulder, CO (In 2006, he summited Green Mtn. over 260 times). My friend was lamenting on the monotony of that much repetition in running, how could you not mix it up? I lacked the eloquence to give a satisfactory answer, but I think I understand Krupicka's repetition. The same route is never the same. Both road and athlete are constantly evolving and developing into something new. If you look at water dripping onto a rock, you could argue that it looks the same from day to day and that you will only see change over the course of decades or even centuries as the water reworks the rock into a new shape. I would argue that you can see that water and rock as something new each time you look at it: the change in light and how it effects the radiance of the water, the temperature of the air and how that effects the feel of the rock or maybe where you look at the rock from and how that changes your perspective. Just as the water and the rock are in a constant state of motion, the same trail is never the same. It is a metaphor for life.

Still, I think I know what my friend was saying. First times bring a pleasure that are all their own. There is an excitement in traveling an unknown path; not knowing what is up ahead or where that will take you. The joys and the challenges are all completely new to you just that one time and you can never have it back again completely, because once you've done it the first time, you have a knowledge of the journey that guides you. It can be new, but never completely new again.

Today is completely new.

The River Mountain Trail is often confused with the River Mountain Loop Trail, though they are very different. The River Mountain Loop Trail is a 37 mile loop that circles the River Mountains to the Southeast of the Las Vegas Valley. All paved, it is a fantastic trail that deserves its own post at a later time.

The River Mountain Trailhead

The River Mountain Trail is off US 93 on the way down into the Lake Mead Area. I have been looking at this trailhead for a long time now and thinking about the run it would deliver. I just never seemed to find the reason to get over here. Then I remembered: what the hell do I need a reason for?

I drove over in the morning and pulled up next to the one car in the parking lot. Wondered who the early bird was that was catching the worm...I planned to find out. Got out, got my water and got going.

The initial section of the trail moves along between houses and a drainage ditch up to a small flood control basin. From there, the trail works its way up into the fold between the two Mountains before working its way into a series of switchbacks up the side of Red Mountain. This is the section of the trail was built by the Army Corp of Engineers in the 1930s and shows some of their signature stone work during trail building from that time. There is also some mild exposure here, which adds to the enjoyment of the view and the excitement of the run. It's a great section of trail. Looking up, I see a white shirt near the top. My car owner.

Part of the switchbacks
Once to the top of the saddle, the trail splits. To go left is to continue up to the top of Red Mountain and to head right is to pick up the trail to the top of Black. I went right first.

Decisions, decisions...

Chugging my way up Black Mountain, I suddenly hit the end of the trail what appears to be 600 feet from the top. What a jip! I scramble up some rocks looking around. Maybe I have simply lost the trail and just need to pick it up again. This is it though. Shaking my head, I work my way back down and start my push for the top of Red Mountain.

The failed summit of Black Mountain

The winds had been brisk along the side of Black Mountain and begin to pick up as I work my way up Red. The trail is more technical here and things get a little steeper again. As I work my way around to the west side of the peak. the winds become fierce. I put my head down, hold my hat and  and churn my way up to the summit.

When I get to the top, the view is simply amazing! A 360 degree panorama of the entire southern corner of the state. The winds have cleared the air and visibility is amazing. Enjoying the view, I look across to Black and Lake Mead in the distance. My mouth drops open and I just stare. You have got to be kidding me!

Red to Black

Boulder City from Red Mountain. The last mountains are in Arizona.
I can see the trail leading all the way to the summit of Black Mtn. Where the hell was that at when I was running over there?!? I try and trace my path and cannot find the point where I screwed up. It is clear however that the trail moves around from where I was to a second higher area on the mountain that is the actual peak. There is no way I am going back down unless I get to the top. I take off for Black again.

Moving across the saddle to Black, I look down and see white shirt. He has a companion and the two of them are headed back down. Must have been on Red while I was on Black the first time. Be safe compadre.

When I get about 100 yards from where I ran out of real estate the first time, I see it. There is a switchback in the trail that I missed the first time. The trail is more worn going straight ahead to the false top, but once I get to the switchback, it is obvious that I missed the trail. i might have to turn in a couple Boy Scout Merit Badges for this one. What a bone head.

The run up to the top is nice, with the overall run up Black easier than Red. There is also a bench up here and a couple of placards put up by the Forest Service discussing the fault lines and the geology of the area. Red only got a black and white striped pole...

Top of Black looking out at Lake Mead

If you are going to run both peaks, I would finish here. The bench is nice to get the rocks out of your shoes and the views of the lake and Arizona in the distance are amazing. You still get all the views of Southern Nevada as well.

Heading back down I pass a couple runners and a guy with his dog at various places along the trail. People are starting to wake up.

Beautiful run and a lot of fun. The facilities here, but relatively short, even with my first failed ascent of Black. Would run this everyday just for the view. 5 stars.

1:50:12/7.45 miles

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of your mountain runs, but I just realized one of the reasons you get these spectacular views is there are no trees. I've got more than a few of those to look at on my runs. Still, I'm looking forward to being out there and hitting one of these with you.

    By the way, I think I watched that video on the Green Mountain guy. I remember him saying that in his training runs up the mountain he self-hypnotizes, basically thinks about anything but the run. However, on race days, he is totally focused on the run and his competition. Most of the long distance runners I know are like that, self-hypnotists. I can't do that, which is why I seem better at trail running than road running, because you have to focus on the challenge of the trail and that keeps me from getting bored and fatigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog post!!

    ReplyDelete