My Next Adventure

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dispatches From The Field - 6/18/11 Chasing Towers

Today was the last run of any real effort that I will make before I take on the Double Dipsea with Rob. I wanted to do something new to finish on a strong note with my prep before the full taper begins.

My usual bike ride from the house for anything ranging from 15-30 miles tends to take me out to St. Rose Parkway. Decisions about which way to go take place at the M Resort and the intersection with Interstate 15. If you look straight up (as I often do) there is a hill directly in front of you with a Microwave Tower at its summit. I have been eyeing this hill for some time, believing that there must be a road running up the spine of the hill to service the Tower. I cannot see the road, regardless of the angle I view the hill from, but it must be there.

Today Coach Cyndee has scheduled me for a hilly trail run and I intend to take the opportunity to find the road to the Microwave Tower. I have been checking this area out for some time from various points through some of the bike rides I have done. On the back side of Southern Highlands, there is a dirt road that leads over a hill past a smaller radio tower; I think this is the access road I am looking for. I park where this dirt road meets the pavement and head out.

Looking up the valley. Not sure how this is going to work out  at this point in the run, but I'm trying to get to the top of the left hill.


The funny part is that I am worried that this run is going to be too short. It's also supposed to be hilly, but after cresting the initial hill I am heading down into a small valley that has some light rollers. This may have not been the best choice for the scheduled workout.

My legs feel tired. That feeling has been going on for the last couple weeks. The troubling part is that I have been taking it relatively easy. Eventually they calm down and I get into a rhythm, but I feel like I am always a half step behind where I should be. As a result, the rollers seem a little bigger than they actually are.

3 miles in, I can see the way to the Microwave Tower.
It's also hot at this point. I can't seem to get my act together regarding getting up before the family, which means that by the time I get my daughter to school and get on the trail, it's over 100 degrees. I'm burning through Nuun and gels, but I can feel my body is behind the hydration curve relatively early in the run. Playing catch-up is never where you want to be.

At 3.5 miles, I get to the base of the hill and start working my way up the grade. Probably somewhere around 5-8% depending on where you are (it gets steepest about 3/4 of the way up), my goal is to get all the way to the tower without walking. This is supposed to be a hilly run dammit, and I'm not going to bail on the only hilly part. I look three feet ahead and churn my way to the top. The view is worth the effort.

At the Summit

This is a shot looking down at the crossroads. St. Rose Pkwy is the  road going to the distance with the M Resort on the right. Left along the Freeway takes you to the Strip. Right takes you out to Sloan and Jean. Left over the Freeway takes you into the Southern Highlands Community.
I take a minute to snap these pictures and then I start back for the car. The obvious goal is to negative split the return leg. There is one more set of towers that I have been eyeing out toward Railroad Pass. Next time...

I don't know where this road is going, but I intend to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment