My Next Adventure

Monday, June 6, 2011

Dispatches From The Field - 6/2/11 - The Southern Cottonwood Valley

Out and back 8 miles today. I have had my eye on Mt. Potosi and I am looking for a trail that I think will both get me to the top and that I can run. I chose the Cottonwood Valley south of 160 today because it would give me a chance to eyeball the east side of the Mountain. The west side is all private property owned by the Boy Scouts and the Methodist Church. Lots of no hunting and no trespassing signs.
East side of Mt. Potosi from the Lower Cottonwood Valley.
The Cottonwood Valley is split by Highway 160, with 3 miles of the valley on the south side of the road. I decided to run through the valley and see what was beyond. This is yet another area that I have had my eye on for some time.
Starting Points. The road off Hwy 160 into the South Cottonwood. The  valley runs out beyond the  hill on the left -center of the picture into the Spring Mountain Range.

To the left of the picture above are the mountains that create the eastern side of the valley. Maps show that there is a water tank (the Wilson Tank) at the top of the valley in these mountains. Word is that the views from the water tank are worth the effort. Maps show the tank is roughly 5-6 miles from Hwy 160. I have run over distance rather severely twice in the last week and as a result, have been put on notice by Coach Cyndee to knock it off. A third infraction in the very next week is sure to land me on double secret probation. I will not be able to get to the Wilson Tank today, but I should be able to get a visual on it for a future effort.


 
Caused by a lightning strike, the Goodsprings fire swept through this area in June of 1985 burning  33,484 acres. While the vegetation has come back, reminders of the fire are scattered through the Cottonwood Valley and the Spring Mountain Range.

The run through the valley is slightly uphill but relatively mild  all the way to the climb up to the Cottonwood Valley Pass. The picture above gives a good idea of the scenery to the east with an occasional cactus thrown in for variety. Mt. Potosi dominates the western side of the valley. The limestone cliffs here set a dramatically different look from the sandstone found everywhere else.

Looking back into the Cottonwood Valley from the pass into the Spring Mountain Range. The toughest part of the trail  is just behind where I am taking the picture from.
Clearing the Cottonwood Pass and moving into the Spring Mountains is the trail running version of Groundhog Day. Where is Sonny Bono when I need him most? I crank out 1 more mile before turning around and heading back the way I came. Once I get back to the pass, everything speeds up to tempo pace for the last three miles.

I never found the Wilson Tank or spotted a trail that would take me to the top of Mt. Potosi. I will be back for round #2 later.

1:37:33/8.07 miles






4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, but how do you not die of dehydration on these trails? It's like looking at a film negative of where I run. Of course, I'm guessing you don't have to deal with your shorts chafing you because they are fully hydrated, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't even gotten to summer yet. I'm expecting it to "hot up some" still. Depending on the run, I either carry a fanny pack with 24oz of fluid or a Camelback with a 90oz capacity. In the past on long stuff during summer (17-20 miles) I will raid a strategic gas station for ice and a refill on the Camelback. Runs will also start creeping closer to 4am to try and beat the worst of the heat. July it will still be 85+ though at 4am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 am? Good god, man. Don't you get home from work at midnight? I bow before your commitment. I could not get up and do these kinds of runs with so little sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RCS it's sleep or deal with the sun. It's a tough spot 2 be in. Not sure what I'm going to do when summer hits. Think after work (12am) might start running then sleep a bit longer during the day. It's as if I think about it every day. What 2 do

    ReplyDelete