My Next Adventure

Friday, September 9, 2011

Dispatches From The Field - 8/6/11 & 8/12/11 - Getting My Grub On

**This is one of two posts that I will be making out of chronological order as I work to catch up**

I always talk about running. So let's talk about the bike instead.

Christine Lynch (aka: Holistic Guru) has recently started working with me regarding nutrition. Talking through things, I have two goals: 1) Get a handle on my race nutrition; 2) Develop a knowledge of food and the ability to identify and execute a nutrition plan that will help me maintain a happy, healthy life. I know it sounds corny, but what else do we really need while we are here on this planet?

Talking through things, we decide to focus on the race nutrition first. With about three months before Ironman Arizona, that seemed to be the more pressing issue. To this point, I have been relying on gels and have been eating erratically. In the past, Coach Cyndee has given me good advice (which I have not taken in well). Now, hearing many of the same things from Christine, I think I am finally able to listen.

I think where Christine has differed so far is an interest in promoting solid foods, especially on the bike portion of my Ironman. The idea we are pursuing is to get through the swim. Work on whole foods on the bike and then move to soft foods (gels, etc.) on the run. I am also setting my watch to 15 minute intervals. Every 15 minutes, I take in some liquid and every 30 minutes I will take in some food. It is not a preset amount on either, but something with the goal of 300-500 calories per hour.

The famous DD meetup. I am proud to say I have no idea what this place looks like on the inside.  :)
The plan: The first long effort on 8/6, I am going to limit myself to soft foods (gels & chews) and Nuun. I will note how I feel both in energy level and see if I develop any GI issues (I have a history). The second long effort (8/12) will be totally on solid foods and I will try Hammer Perpetum along with Nuun. I will then compare the results of both efforts with Christine.

The pocket at the base of the mountains is the Red Rock Loop. It all looks so harmless from here...
8/6/11 - Early start with the sun and before most of the cyclists. Hwy 159 has got to be the busiest stretch of road for cyclists in the Las Vegas area on the weekends. Maybe during the week as well. A nice wide shoulder, incredible views and a convenient stop at the Market in Blue Diamond probably don't hurt.

Thing feel good and the bike is working well. I need to do 60 miles today. The out and back along 159 to 160 is 30 miles. I'll do that twice today and live on e-Gels from Crank Sports and chews from Honey Stinger.

The ride works out well and my stomach is solid. The gels are fine, but by the fourth or fifth one it becomes an effort to choke them down. I feel ok, but it's just too much sweetness to deal with. The ride goes well, no cramping and my energy levels are good. A nice baseline.

Looking back down Hwy 159 from Hwy 160. Blue Diamond is in the small "v" on the left hand side of the picture about 3 miles up the road.
8/12/11 - Solid Foods. For this ride, Christine wants me to use only solid foods for the ride. She is counting Hammer Perpetum as solid food. I have never used it, so I pick up a couple packages to experiment with. So the nutrition line-up for the ride: 1 large bottle with Perpetum, 1 large bottle with Nuun, PB&J on Sprouted Whole Grain bread and Fig Neumans wrapped in 3 packs.

Today is 70 miles. I've got some logistical issues, so today I am going to start at the house and ride a wide loop that goes through the southwest section of the valley and makes a wide loop along 159 and 160. Lower 160 is under some pretty serious construction so I have to be a little creative, but I get it all worked out.

It is hot and there is substantially more elevation on this ride than there is on the 159 out and back. I stop for refills on the bottles twice. I don't care for the taste and the texture of the Perpetum too much, but my stomach holds it fine. I find along the way that if I water the Perpetum down, it goes down much easier and the texture improves. The PB&J and fig cookies on the other hand are bomb.

After both rides and talking with Christine, I have decided to go the solid food route. Eating the solid food was much more enjoyable, my stomach held the solid food well, it is easier to get more calories in without having to eat excessively and the idea of downing 30 gels over 14-16 hours just does not float my boat.

8/6/11 - 3:28:17/60.59 miles
8/14/11 - 4:15:13/68.47 miles 

No comments:

Post a Comment