My Next Adventure

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Dispatches From The Field - 9/15/11 - Brick

80 miles on the bike followed by a 3 mile run. I've done both of those distances several times before. It's not like it's anything new...except I've never done them in a Brick before.

Which is why I am a little nervous.

The plan is to ride out to Southern Highlands, then over to Hwy 160, up 160 (through construction) to Hwy 159 (the Red Rock Loop). Round the loop to the Downtown/Red Rock Bike Trail into downtown, then figure out a way to Boulder Hwy on the east side of town and then up Warm Springs to the house. Use the garage as transition and then run the 3 mile loop off my house. I'm even sand bagging a little bit because the run only has about 300 feet of elevation so I get away with a flat finish.

Late to start. I am not getting enough sleep and my body is in full rebellion mode at this point. It's kind of a Catch-22 though: I have a Swing Shift job which allows me to train and study during the day, but to get that time, I usually don't get to sleep until 1-2 in the morning, and then try to get up at 5. I have decided that my body is running a 4-hour rule. If I don't get at least 4 hours sleep, I am not getting up. Which is why I'm over an hour late getting started.

The Blue Diamond Market (aka: Cyclist Central)
First stop is at the Village Market in Blue Diamond. Mid-week is quiet when I arrive. On the weekend, there are at least 6-15 cyclists here during all hours of the morning. I make a quick dash in for some water and get going.

The Frank Gehry designed Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health
Yeah...the Downtown/Red Rock Bike Trail is merely a bike lane on Alta Street that runs into the heart of Downtown and then dumps you with no real outs. I would like to thank the city planners and traffic engineers for pretending to care about alternative transportation. I deek/dive and curse my way to Fremont Street on the far side of the Fremont Street Experience. 

The Fremont Street Experience setting up for a concert.
I just want to point out that I took all of these pictures at traffic lights, which just goes to show you that I am developing mad game when it comes to multi-tasking.

Part of the Neon Museum Downtown

The overall ride was good, but I started to wear down a little bit as I got closer to the house. Probably just anticipation of getting off the bike. I also realized that I was going to come up short on mileage, so I made a detour at the end to add in enough additional mileage to get me to my 80 on the bike.

The run would have been fine, had I not chugged a bottle of water in transition and then taken off on the run. I developed cramping through my whole left side, which slowed me down some. Still, I got it done and things feel like they are starting to come together.

THE WORKOUT
Ride 80 miles moderate zone 2 endurance effort. Hydrate as if you would during any race and make sure you eat and do gels on a regular time schedule. About every 45 min for gel. Keep track of fluid intake and let me know how much you drank. What hydration drink are you drinking for long rides? Run 2-3 miles after your ride.

MY NOTES TO COACH CYNDEE
OK, rode a loop of the valley including 160/159. Alta and the downtown area slowed things down some with all the traffic lights. Nutrition was PB&J, Perpetum, Nuun and Fig Newmans. Drank 4 large bottles during the course of the ride and a 16 ounce bottle of water in T2, which was probably not the smartest thing, because I developed a massive cramp from my right chest around to my right kidney about a quarter mile into the run. The cramp stayed with me through the run, but cleared up shortly after. I felt a little tired during the last 10 miles of the bike, but I think it was more mental than physical (traffic, etc.). The run was all about the cramping. I felt like the turnover was decent, but it was hard going and slowed me up some.

Bike - 5:16:03/80.16 miles
T2 - 3:47
Run - 32:53/3.0 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment